Friday, November 18, 2022

Mastery #17: Mr. Chin's Gourmet Paradise (Game Boy)

 


    Well I believe this is my first Game boy master. So that's sort of exciting? I guess? I never played this game before it was just at total random. I was a bit excited since this was the very first mastery I got on my Retroid Pocket 2+. But just randomly scrolling through my game boy games last night I choose one at total random and it just so happened to land on this game. Almost similar to my time with playing  & mastering Time Zone. Although this game is crazy short, this is a game I would be mad to spend fifty dollars. Although Game boy games didn't really get that high of a price brand new they usually sat in the thirty or twenty dollar range. The game consists of great music, arcade style gameplay, & about 15 minutes of your time. 




The simple objective of the game is to use the two tesla domes to shock the virus amoebas to turn them into peaches so you can consume them. Honestly the game may actually have a story to it but at first pick up that's pretty much what I thought it was. The 'tesla domes' as I call them was a interesting mechanic/weapon that took me a moment to learn. One of the faults to this game is picking it up and playing it & not knowing how the 'tesla domes' work.





Being a Gameboy game the system only has two buttons, jump button & action button. So when starting the game it puts you on a platform similar to Donkey Kong and as you become familiar with the buttons you find one jumps and the other sets down a 'tesla dome' which is actually called 'DEMOE Beam'. Well, at first beginning screen you see these monsters coming towards you (albeit they fall down the first hole they see as seen in the screenshot below) but you don't know if the enemies can jump or fly so it's almost like a instant panic of just hitting buttons which one of the two buttons will release one of your demoe beams. Than in a flash a beam goes by and suddenly the monsters turn to peaches. The problem with this at least for me was I was confused as to how the mechanic worked. I didn't realize you have to place two of them down trapping the enemies between the demoe beams. The first level of the game does teach you this but it's just poorly done.


This is the beginning screen of level 1


I could go on & on about game mechanics but I don't want to rant about cause it can be very boring. The other really captivating thing to this game was the music. Personally I really enjoyed the music to this game but I can't help but to feel like the music was stolen from another game & than was remixed on all 8 stages. Especially the stage 7 music sounds very familiar to me (one day I will figure it out as to where). Another obnoxious thing was the pipe at the center bottom of each level. The pipe acted like a warp to the top level of the platforms which the player & enemies can fall through. But the window to fall through is so incredible small. Actually most of the game had weird hit detections to it. Spots where you thought you could jump up to instead you just hit your head on a block. The achievements to this game was well done too. Another charming attribute to this game was in regards to points. Instead of a simple 'points' they took the extra mile and put KCAL instead. Since Mr. Chin consumes the peaches after zapping the monsters one would obtain calories as well, just a small little change that can be rather charming in my eyes. Considering how short & simply this game is this was a very easy set to master. Being mostly story driven achievements except the one called 'Safety First' which took some research but other than that was a fairly great set.








No comments:

Post a Comment

Mastery #21: GunForce (Super Nintendo)

      What the hell is GunForce and why did I pick this? I didn't know that much about this game going in and although I technically did...