Tuesday, May 17, 2022

Mastery #11: Garfield (Proto) (Atari 2600) - Archive Edition

     This is my Archive Edition of "Journey Through Retro Games & RetroAchievements". Why I call it my Archive Edition? Is because normally each blog post will be of me Mastering a game's achievements, meaning that I will create the post after I just completed the game. The Archive Edition will be games that I mastered before I started this blog. So spoiler alert but there will probably only be 11 Archive Edition posts. But like the number stated above, this was my 11th mastery, so it's the most recent mastery before I started this blog. 


    


    Not many people know there was a Garfield Atari 2600 game. I am not too familiar with the origin or the story behind it but quick glances online didn't show that much promise for me at the time. But this game was an EXTREMELY short game. Most Atari 2600 games are normally short like this so it's no surprise in anyway that the achievements (cheevos) was rather easy to get on this one. But for the most part the game consists of you jumping on the fence or houses while eating lasagna, avoiding Odie, & I guess saving Nermal? The game in it's entirety is like 2 minutes long not sure if there was more anticipated to the game or not. 

    



    I have always been a fan of Garfield from his comics to the 80's cartoon series. I still remember the very first dvd boxsets I really owned was 'Garfield & Friends' and 'Home Movies'. The opening song to Garfield & Friends was always stuck in my head growing up. My older brother would sing it a lot of times just throughout the house and it would be engraved into my head until today. I remember asking my brother where he got the song from because my brother was not to be one to watch cartoons with me at the time. I mean he was in High School while I was about to go into the 6th grade. Which I guess in retrospect now maybe even watching cartoons when going into the 6th grade was too old too hahaha. My brother told me he would see it in school, the school we went to often had tv's in a specific hallway that would just normally play ABC, NBC, or Fox. Even in elementary during the scholastic book day we use to have, I remember making a dive towards the Garfield books. Even as I got older they turned into great bathroom books, you know the times before cell phones had the entire internet in your pocket. 

    


    Anyway there isn't that much I can really say about this game that really hasn't already been said. It's such a interesting game in general cause how short it was. If I was younger and bought this game at full retail I would have been sad but I would have loved it just the same. Given it was a prototype though it's technically unfair to make that judgement & any repo carts out there should only be paying for the work it is to move the game to the actual Atari game chip. 

    


    The most difficult cheevo and I do mean difficult very lightly was the beat the game without getting hit or scoring a point. The only reason why this turned to be "difficult" was because it was a waiting game more than anything else. You see the lasagna moves across the screen & since the only option you have to move is by jumping it's inevitable that you will eat lasagna just trying to get to the end of the game. And that's really about it, sadly there was no music or anything to it. I would love to hear their rendition of the Garfield theme on the Atari 2600 (I know the year the cartoon came out was post Atari 2600 era). This game is mostly fun to just check out and have a quick play while waiting for your car to warm up or while you throw hot pockets in the microwave. https://retroachievements.org/game/17914

    

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mastery #21: GunForce (Super Nintendo)

      What the hell is GunForce and why did I pick this? I didn't know that much about this game going in and although I technically did...